“Self respect is the root of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.”
-Abraham Joshua Heschel
1. Idealize with regard to your health: If you could wave a magic wand and make your health perfect in every way, how would it be different from today?
I would be 225 pounds. With even more muscle definition and less fat body mass.
2. Resolve to make the rest of your life the best of your life. What is the first thing you should change or do?
Finish out high school with the best of my ability so that I can have fun and enjoy my summer break and be proud of myself and my accomplishments.
3. Get a complete medical examination and ask your doctor for advice on how to enjoy superb levels of physical health. Then follow that advice.
To take all my antibiotics and to take probitics along with them because it will cure my bacterial streptococcus infection (strep throat) and the culturelle probiotic would also balance out the side affects of taking the amoxicillin antibiotic.
4. Determine your ideal weight and set it as a goal. Use the goal-setting process you learned in Chapter 4 to make a plan to achieve it and keep it there for life.
5. Use mindstorming (described in Chapter 4) and write out a list of at least twenty answers to the question, “What can I do every day to enjoy superb levels of health and energy?”
(1) Eat vegetables, (2) eat fruit, (3) exercise regularly, (4) exercise different areas of body, (5) use different types of exercise: aerobics, cardio, weights, etc., (6) balance a healthy diet of foods from the food pyramid, (7) eat at appropriate times of the day, (8) eat up to 2 to 3 times a day, (9) water is the preferred beverage with meals, (10) eat a balanced breakfast, doing so starts your daily metabolism, (11) cardio is a preferred exercise for weight loss, (12) weights and strength training is preferred exercise for muscle gain, (13) a balanced sleep schedule is important, (14) in between meals, if hungry a serving size of fruit is best to eat, (15) exercise through fun activities would be more enjoyable and efficient, (16) meats can be eaten idealy if grilled or baked, (17) steamed vegetables is a very healthy way to eat them, (18) after a night’s dinner, don’t lay right down on it, (19) a light workout in the morning to start your day could help, (20) and working out twice a day 3-5 days a week would really hasten the affects of a new health kick.
6. Review the health habits and research discussed in this chapter and give yourself a grade ranging form one to ten on how well you are practicing them.
7. Decide on one specific action that you are going to take immediately to ensure that you live to be age eighty, ninety, and beyond.