“Mental toughness is many things and rather difficult explain. Its qualities are sacrifice and self denial. Also, and most importantly, it is combined with a perfectly disciplined will that refuses to give in. It is a state of mind that you could call character in action.”
1. Today is the day! Make a decision that you are going to achieve the best physical condition of your life in the months ahead, and then take action immediately.
2. Get a complete medical examination so that you know your condition and limits before you begin.
3. Start walking thirty minutes each day, preferably first thing in the morning or, if not in the morning, right after work.
4. Join a gym or health club, pay for a year, and make an appointment with yourself to work out five times a week, sixty minutes each time.
5. Hire a personal trainer and have him/her guide you through an exercise program that includes aerobics, strength, and flexibility exercises each week.
6. Invest in a treadmill, a LifeCycle, or an elliptical machine and put it in front of your television so you can exercise as part of your home and family life.
7. Start gradually and work up slowly, resolving to exercise for several weeks before you notice a major difference. Be patient, persistent, and determined.