“Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound. The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to accomplish the object upon which his heart is set. This is the true of earthly as of heavenly things. Even the man whose object is acquire wealth must be prepared to make great personal sacrifices before he can accomplish his object; and how much more so he who would realize a strong and well-poised life.”
1. Take the forgiveness test: Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?
100% Honesty. I want to be both. Being right makes me happy but after reading in this book, self-happiness is more important than just being right.
2. Identify the people from your past who you feel have hurt you in any way, and then make a decision today to forgive and let go of those negative feelings.
Cadarious Gaines, Justen Little, Darius Morton, Josh Harris, Tevin Lowe, Kelvin (last name unknown at the moment), Clarke Prep Baseball Team, Former Head Coach of Echols Middle School Baseball Team, Brent Rogers, Brylon Fowler, Jaaron MacMillian, and these are just a few. As a young kid, most of these people bullied me because I was short and fat, or not athletic enough, or not “black” enough for them. At the time I was really hurt and insecure and felt like I didn’t fit in, like I didn’t belong, and I didn’t want to belong; on this Earth that is. I have now grown up, “manned up”, and have harbored hatred or a certain level of dislikeness for all of these people. If I said I forgave them I’d be lying, but maybe one day I can, but right now I’m at the point of where I am my own man and if I saw them again, the words that I would have for them would not be appropriate for television airwaves.
3. Find reasons not to justify your negative emotions of blame or anger, and instead, use your intelligence to accept responsibility.
(1) I guess I could have dropped a lot of weight, I’m sorry that I was fat, oops my bad, AM FAT! (2) I guess I could have been more “black” and cooler, but I’m sorry that I was lame, oops my bad again, AM LAME! (3) I could have tried to improve my athletic skills, but I did not and that is my fault, I accept responsibility for that. I guess if I improved these things I could have had more friends, I could have talked to girls easier, and I guess I would of at least been happy to the pint where I actually cared if I lived or not.
4. Set peace of mind as your highest goal, and then resolve to let go of any thoughts or emotions that disturb you in any way.
5. Begin today to read something spiritual and uplifting each morning before you begin your day. This habit will change your life.
6. From now on, refuse to take things personally. Ask yourself how much it will matter five years from today.
I know after reading this book I have habits and disciplines that teach how to do so. And I have applied them to an extent, however they did not work completely, because for some reason, a small very small part of me still remembers the hurt.
7. Practice the Buddhist method of detachment from money and material things, and refuse to become upset or worried about anything.